Posts of the day - Best of the Web- News you missed!
This is from federalist.com quoting Reid 1993:
This week's "Alpha Jackass" award:
"Our borders have overflowed with illegal immigrants placing tremendous burdens on our criminal justice system, schools and social programs. Our federal wallet is stretched to the limit by illegal aliens getting welfare, food stamps, medical care and other benefits often without paying any taxes. Safeguards like welfare and free medical care are in place to boost Americans in need of short-term assistance. These programs were not meant to entice freeloaders and scam artists from around the world. Even worse, Americans have seen heinous crimes committed by individuals who are here illegally." —Senator Harry Reid introducing the Immigration Stabilization Act of 1993, which proposed a dramatic reduction in legal immigration, revocation of citizenship for children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens, and it even called for wiretaps for alien smuggling operations.
PHOENIX — Fearing traffic jams and concerned about their personal safety, legislative leaders have decided to shut down their Monday session early to let legislators and staff flee the Capitol before 100,000 marchers show up.
"At what point do we consider an invasion is going on when government is shut down due to foreign [sic] marching on our soil?" Rep. Pam Gorman asked.
History of U.S. Amnesties
Until 1986, the United States had never forgiven the act of illegal immigration in other than individual cases and had never rewarded large numbers of illegal aliens with the opportunity for U.S. citizenship.
Congress has passed 7 amnesties for illegal aliens, starting in 1986.
1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA) Amnesty, 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens.
2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens.
3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994.
4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America.
5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti.
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens.
7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens.
8. Nine current bills are vying to be Amnesty No. 8.
See more information at www.NumbersUSA.com.
I notice that the powers that be have moved this thread to the basement. Tells me all I need to know about where the "management" stands on illegal immigration. No donation from me.
566 posted on 04/05/2006 6:42:18 PM PDT by Godebert (www.freerepublic.com)
U.S. Constitution Article 4 Section 4:
"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion;"
Invasion: \In*va"sion\, n. [L. invasio: cf. F. invasion. See Invade.] [1913 Webster]
1. The act of invading; the act of encroaching upon the rights or possessions of another; encroachment; trespass. __________________
Let's see, our politicians prefer those who break the law, and could care one one iota for those trying to obey the law. For some reason they remind me of the crowd which preferred Barabbas over Christ.
15 posted on 04/03/2006 9:22:43 AM PDT by GarySpFc (www.freerepublic.com)
"Wouldn't you think that they are aware of public opinion?"
They're fully aware that nearly all Republicans support better border security and don't support amnesty for illegal aliens. But, just like wife-beater, they figure that we've got nowhere else to go. They're counting on us to submit to our "battered Republican syndrome" and vote for them because we know that we're not going to find anyone else. And, you know what, there's a lot of people including people here on Free Republic who are perfectly fine with that. And when anyone speaks out about it, they tell them to shut up.
Posted by Spiff 03/29/2006 (www.freerepublic.com)
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be even a worse fate. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." -- Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill on the eve of Britain's entry into World War II